Thursday, June 18, 2015

Asian Ramen Noodle Salad


At our church, potlucks are a very regular occurrence. I always find myself searching last-minute for ideas on what to bring. I mostly gravitate towards making a dessert, but on Sunday, we were having an outdoor potluck, and so I thought of a summery salad. I tweaked and simplified this recipe, which takes the classic crunchy Asian salad and makes it a little fresher and healthier. It is delicious and easy! And I quizzed a few other church friends who agreed that it had an amazing variety of flavors and textures.


Ingredients:

Two (3 ounce) packages Ramen noodles (you won't use the seasoning packets, so they can be any flavor)
14-ounce bag coleslaw mix
10-ounce bag of frozen edamame--cooked and shelled
1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions)

For the Asian Honey Vinaigrette Dressing:

2/3 cup vegetable oil (or any cooking oil)
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
pinches of salt and pepper


To make the Asian Honey Vinaigrette, simply whisk together the vegetable oil, honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and salt and pepper in a bowl.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  In a gallon-size Ziploc bag, smash the Ramen noodles until they are crumbled. (I had to enlist the help of one of Nolan's toy hammers.) Spread the crumbled Ramen noodles and the almonds on a baking sheet, and toast them in the oven for 3-5 minutes, until they're golden brown.


When they're cooled, toss them in a bowl with the vinaigrette dressing, green onions, edamame, and coleslaw cabbage.


It's ready to serve! It will be good up to three days (but it will probably only be crunchy the first day).

Your potluck friends will enjoy it!! 

See you tomorrow for Friday Favorites :)

6 comments:

  1. So funny - love the toy hammer! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! Someone brought something similar to a picnic I went to recently, and I made a note to look up a recipe! Now I don't have to - thank you! Excited to try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good. Ha ha on the toy hammer - you should have had your son help break up the noodle "blocks". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you used Nolan's toy hammer! Cracks me up! Plus, this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh i love ramen, this looks amazing! I need to try this immediately!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Asian noodle salads, but this is not what I was expecting! I was expecting cooked noodles that are the salad. I love the idea of using almonds and dry ramen noodles for crunch in a regular salad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...